With the festive season upon us and many runners taking nice long leave, this is the perfect time of year to get out and play!
Personally this is my favorite running season! Long warm days, no need to get up early in the morning, slow post run breakfasts, lazy afternoon naps and time to explore new routes! (especially if travelling to a different town!)
This is an in between kind of training season, where the most important training is simply to just keep running. So ditch the heart rate monitor, pace chart and track intervals and just get out, get creative and play. You will arrive back at your club mentally refreshed and motivated to tackle marathon and ultra season.
Here are a few simple ideas to help you get thinking:
- Run a route you have never run before
- Find some Strava segments in your area and try to crack the record
- If you are in a hilly area, see how much Vert you can accumulate in a certain amount of time.
- On an out and back route, run out a certain distance at a steady pace, then see how fast you can return.
- Do a night mountain/beach run
- Try some dune sprints if at the beach. Even better, race your kids up the dunes!
- Do a route where your kids can ride with on their bikes
- Do a mini biathlon by running to the beach or a dam, swim a loop and run back
- Grab a backpack and run small shop errands
- My favorite – Run barefoot on the shoreline
Wherever you will be spending the holidays – Press Play and RUN.LAUGH.LIVE!