Your training should be in full swing by now and with only 8 weeks to go until race day this is not the time for making big changes to your training, running style or gear. The most important now is to keep moving, one training run at a time.
This is the time though to do those little things that will add the edge to your training. Here is a list of ten little things you can do to maximize your training:
- After your run, soak your feet in warm water mixed with epsom salts for 10 minutes and give each foot a good massage.
- Minimize non running fatigue – stay off your feet as much as possible when not training.
- Follow the 3 R’s of recovery
- Spend 10 minutes on mobility and core exercises each day
- Have those niggles seen to before they become full blown injuries
- Rehearse what you will be wearing, eating, drinking in the race. Also try to simulate the race route profile on your long runs.
- Eat well! Up your daily nutrition a notch, especially get in extra immune boosting foods.
- Create an environment and pre-bed routine for quality sleep. Aim to get as close to 8 hours a night as is realistic.
- Spoil yourself to a massage.
- Stop regularly to enjoy the view!
Train hard, be nice to people and remember to laugh (a lot!!).