There is something really special about being able to look back over a year, two years, five, ten, a whole lifetime of running and remember the roads traveled, mountains traversed, personal bests smashed, fatigue overcome and most importantly, friends made and laughter had.
Many know that starting a running journey will be epic. The challenge however is always getting past January. Past the time when the honeymoon romance of new beginnings, endless sunny days and post run swims have given way to the reality of work deadlines, traffic and school homework.
Getting up early for a long sunrise run has lost that warm fuzzy feeling, yet the dark, cold mornings, lunchtime crunch runs and post run hot chocolates with running buddies, hold a romantic adventure of there own, if you just keep on keeping on.
To help you, here are ten secrets to start in 2019 and keep going for a lifetime:
- Make running part of your lifestyle, not an optional added extra.
- Join a running group, or two or three. There is an African proverb that says, “if you want to go far, go together”.
- Set a personal challenge. Be it a race, specific distance, running streak or specific time, just break out of your comfort zone. Most importantly, give the challenge a deadline!
- Explore new routes. Run your world!
- Look after your body. Good nutrition and daily maintenance are key to minimizing interruptions. And don’t forget the importance of sleep!
- Introduce someone new to running. Nothing like it to ignite the passion again.
- Get involved volunteering at an event. Watching others enjoying their journey reminds you why you started in the first place. Plus, you really gain a new appreciation and respect for event organizers.
- See good gear as an investment in your happiness. Replacing your shoes regularly will help avoid injury and wearing quality clothing made for running will just make your runs so much more comfortable.
- Watch great running clips on YouTube. Feed your dreams!
- JUST DO IT! -enough said
Make 2019 the start of no looking back!